Eagles Draft Blog

Post writeups about our NFC Teams here
lionlocker

Eagles Draft Blog

Post by lionlocker »

Round 1 Pick 18: Larry Fernell OT Wake Forest
Larry Fernell Is the definition of a fast riser, at the beginning of the 2037 season scouts mostly saw him as maybe a developmental late round project, he also wasn’t on any preseason watch lists. But after a strong showing against South Carolina for the season opener where he was impenetrable and was able hold a hellacious SEC pass rush to 0 pressures. Fernell quickly gained scouts attention along with his 6’7’’ 317 pound frame, his long arms are able to keep the most explosive pass rushers at bay but, what I find most impressive about this kid are his quick feet, that kind of agility in a man that size is rare. “His footwork is sloppy but with some refinement I can easily see this kid being a starter for a long time”, said one AFC north scout. “He’s got a lot to clean up but, his tools are rare”, an NFC scout said. Bottom line: Fernell has all the tools to be a high-end player in this league, it’s going to be up to him and coaching staff to see how much of that will come to fruition.

Round 2 Pick 49: Cortney Decota
If anyone reading this piece stays up late on Saturdays to watch Mountain West football, the Decota selection should have you doing backflips. In his 2 years at Wyoming Decota earned 1st team all-conference honors both times. If you don’t know about this kid, there are endless clips of him on YouTube and twitter of him breaking off coverages to pick off passes and laying big hits in coverage and in the run game. Simply one word describes him, instinctual. Naturally the next question most of you are asking is, if he’s so good why did he last until the middle of the second round? Obviously, the level of play in the mountain west isn’t the best so I’m guessing scouts have no idea whether he shines because of the level he’s playing at or because his instincts are that good. That seems to be the biggest question surrounding him. “I like him (Decota) but he’s a big fish in a small pond. I don’t know how good he’ll be once he gets in the ocean”, one scout describes him as. Bottom line: Decota will be a boom or bust pick, lets all hope for the Eagles sake what he did at Wyoming are a sign of things to come.

Round 3 Pick 82: Ezra Jett

Eagles fans for the record, when I heard this pick I was just as surprised as you were. Jett is about as below the radar prospect as anyone in this draft. That’s mainly because the people that understand why he’s a draftable player are scouts. Let’s start with the bad (there’s a lot) Jett lacks a natural feel for the game such as understanding coverages, making throws easier for quarterback, beating jams off of the LOS are areas of his game he really struggles with. Which is why he will light up the stat sheet one game and then proceed to go missing for the next three weeks. Jett is a natural athlete and excels in areas where he can just be that. The problem with that is 1. His production is going to have to rely on scheme and coaching and 2. Judging from his combine numbers he’s not the athlete many expected him to be. The good news is Jett is a 6’4’’ gazelle with giddy up, Extremely soft hands and tough as nails blocking mentality despite his 240 pound frame the problem is the great plays are too few and far between. Bottom Line: Don’t expect to hear anything about Jett or any real production until about his 3rd year but in the mean time he’ll be developing. If his IQ matches his obvious physical gifts our Eagles may have found something.

Round 4 Pick 105: Lawrence Lewis

Lewis is the first player in Clark in Atlanta history to be drafted and was a 3 time HBCU defensive player of the year, if you want to find out why turn on the tape. At Clark Lewis played every position on the defensive line but given his frame he’s a 34 DE or 3 technique in a 4-3, which is where I believe the Eagles will play him. What stands out about Lewis is his mammoth like strength. That sucker is STRONG, anyone that tried to block him got put on their butt instantly and his 37 reps at the combine backs that up. Clearly Lewis’ fit is in the middle as a disruptor to free up other pass rushers. His technique however leaves a lot to be desired. I don’t think he’ll ever be a pro bowler or anything like that, but he clearly has a role on this team and that is to purely be disruptive every single play. Bottom Line: Lewis Clearly has a role and given the pass rushers on this team he should thrive right away and eventually become an every down player that can eat up blocks and potentially make plays. “Lewis is one of those kids from the projects that has made up his mind he’s never going back and, he plays that way every single down”, an anonymous position coach said.
Round 4 Pick 113: Louis Barrett
Barrett is the definition of a lunch pail guy. He doesn’t have popping physical traits nor does his tape jump at you. He’s a just a jack of all trades type of guy that does all the little things well. He can catch from the slot, he can run block well, he’s one of the best rub route setters in all of college football he also finished second in the PAC-12 in drawing pass interference penalties. But what really stood out about Barrett through the draft process was him at the senior bowl. His route running was crisp, his understanding of leverage made throws easy for the quarterbacks, he was always the first player on the field and sometimes he’d do ladder drills after practice or run the stadium steps. When I talked to most of the scouts in mobile the phrase, I heard a lot was “Gym rat”, or relentless work ethic. He’s the type of guy that’s going to ask questions, watch film, bring the juice in practice and give the young receivers pointers. If you think Barrett is going to come in and be Calvin Johnson or AJ Green you’re going to be disappointed that’s not the kind of player he is, when you see Barrett think Mohammed Sanu or Jarvis Landry. Crafty guys that can get open and provide stability and leadership. Bottom Line: Barrett will never be a star but will still be a productive player his true value will be off the field than on the field.
Round 5 Pick 136: Eduardo Hicks

Hicks’ senior year was cut short due to a ton of nagging injuries, he ended up only playing 2 games. Which lead many scouts to question his work ethic and passion for the game. But his junior year tape showed an offensive line prospect that was mostly up but had some downs. He is not a powerful blocker which may be the reason why he never becomes a reliable starter but his ability utilizes his technique and his athleticism to get to the second level on run blocks as well as his versatility to play on the interior is what drew the interest of the Eagles would be my guess as well as his combine where he showcased cat-like agility. He seems like a solid depth piece as a young player and as he matures, he might develop into a reliable spot starter, with everyday starter upside. “Hicks has no excuses now, its time for him to mature and to become the player we saw on tape as a junior”, an AFC south scout said. Bottom Line: Hicks comes into the perfect role where the coaches can figure out his best spot on the line and comes to a team that is trying to implement a smash mouth mentality. I’m concerned about his play strength but his agility and his smarts may be able to make up for that.

Round 5 Pick 146: Calvin Hughes

Another interior defensive lineman??!! Yes, people another defensive lineman, this to me was clearly a best player available pick. He posted the second-best bench press among defensive linemen, he isn’t overly agile but he is over 300 pounds so that’s no real surprise. The combine was a bit disappointing than what we saw on film. On film he’s a head buster in the run game and on passing downs he fires off the ball like a cannon, but he left so may scouts scratching their head after that combine may of them wish they’d seen more, including myself. In the 5th round Hughes is well worth the pick he’s a huge gamble but on the chance that he works out he’s an every down DT. If not then, well you used a 5th round pick. I like the upside of this pick but there’s a chance Hughes against NFL competition flames out. Bottom Line: Hughes is a risk but he has a chance to be a highly productive player if his efforts on tape carry over.

Round 6 Pick 177: Phil Matthews

The Matthews pick is a hopeful one, he missed the last 8 games of the year due to injury and even last year his tape was mostly middling. But a team desperate for a franchise quarterback, I can’t fault them. His tape can get downright sloppy but if you want to see what the Eagles saw in him to draft him watch the game tape vs. LSU last year. He was in a rhythm that game that allowed him to pick apart that LSU secondary with tough throw after tough throw. His mechanics are inconsistent and playing in an air raid offense where 50% of the offense are bubble screens and RPO’s its hard to see his transition but his natural athleticism will need to take over and he will need to be put in a spot where he isn’t reading just purely reacting. To make myself clear I’m not saying Matthews is the second coming of Mcnabb but the kid has potential to make some noise in this league. Bottom Line: I don’t know what Matthews will be, but in the 6th round given his tools this move has an opportunity to add some athleticism in the QB room as well as put Clayton Thorson on notice.

Round 7 Pick 210: Jameson Ogletree

Ogletree is the little engine that could. Well not literally because he’s 6’4’’ but he is a player who’s is willing to treat his body like a human crash dummy the way he flies around the field sticking his nose into anything that moves and being a complete Tasmanian devil in special teams. Which is where I think he fits. I think he lacks the ideal size to be an every down backer and his instincts usually leave him flatfooted and easy to block but that doesn’t stop his effort. This is another “ locker room guy” who’s probably going to be a role player/ special teams player/ coach on the field more so than banking on a guy with upside. Ogletree is a smart guy so the coaches will definitely like him but I doubt we see on the field much outside of injury. Bottom Line: Ogletree never lacks effort and this kind of play will land him a spot on special teams and an eventual spot starter.
Aaron K

Re: Eagles Draft Blog

Post by Aaron K »

I have never been able to motivate myself to read these long write-ups about other team's drafted players.... but... that being said... this is an awesome thing to see from a new GM!! Welcome to the league man. This kind of interest level already shows that you will be the kind of active owner that we all love in a league. Good luck in year 1 "lionlocker"!! Kudos to whoever recruited you as well. Good stuff fellas.
Aaron K
APFL - New England Patriots
USFL - Hartford Diesel
TFL - Atlanta Falcons
lionlocker

Post by lionlocker »

Thanks. I love football and especially talking about it so any time we have a draft I'll definitely find the time to do write ups.
WilleB

Post by WilleB »

Very nice!
GM Since the ImageEra

APFL Champions - 2015, 2021, 2026, 2031
NFC Champions - 2015, 2021, 2026, 2027, 2031, 2032
NFC East Champions - 2017, 2018, 2019, 2021, 2023, 2024, 2025, 2026, 2027, 2028, 2031-41
dthompso8

Post by dthompso8 »

quality read
lionlocker

Post by lionlocker »

Thanks guys I really appreciate it.
lionlocker

Post by lionlocker »

2039 Eagles Draft
Round 1 Pick 6: Chad Barton OLB Cal
When you look up freak in the dictionary that’s Barton. The New Jersey native was a defensive Stallworth for the Cal Bears for the 3 years he was there. When he was a freshman they needed him to play an off the ball linebacker he did that and became a freshman all-American. When their star defensive end went down in spring ball they asked him to be a pass-rusher and did that to the tune of an All American and scouts have been drooling and eyeing him ever since high school. Barton has always an athletic talent which leaves many to wonder how in the world he fell to 6? Of course, QB needy teams are always going to take QB’s before you’d expect but what would make the others pass on Barton? An NFC North scout told me he doesn’t really have a position at this level and many people are questioning where is he going to play and will he be the same game wrecker across all schemes? My answer is his physical traits are too rare to pass up no matter where the eagles end up playing him he’ll be every bit as advertised and will dominate offenses for years to come. Barton is as rare as a prospect as you’ll find with his versatility and relentlessness opposite of Cesar Pierce is going to allow him to get one on one matchups probably for the first time in his life.

Round 2 Pick 37: Burt Peebles QB Louisiana Lafayette
Burt Who? From where? That’s what so many scouts were saying before the draft as Peebles became a last minute add to the senior bowl roster and the rest is history. Peebles is the guy that doesn’t have the eye-popping physical traits you’d want in a QB, he doesn’t have the sexy stat lines either. But he’s all grit and grind, he’s earned everything given to him. Peebles transferred from Milsaps college in Mississippi, before he got to Louisiana Lafayette, where the Rajun’ Cajuns perennially won about 4 games a year. Peebles came in won the job and lead the team to 3 straight Sun Belt Championships and 3 straight ranked seasons. “Peebles is just a winner, he makes the right play when he needs to, he never panics, his demeanor and leaderships is what’s going to take that kid far”, said one of my scouting connects. But what was most impressive about Peebles is the fact that he’s coming out a pro system at Louisiana Lafayette, he’s used to taking snaps under center, he’s used to going through reads, analyzing coverages and determine what to do pre and post snap. I don’t know if Peebles will end up being the heir apparent to Goff but he has as good as chance as any and at the very least the Eagles got themselves a high level back-up or a bridge QB for years to come.

Round 2 Pick 43: Caiden Chickson WR Oregon
Oregon lost a good one in Chickson, Chicksons hands are more reliable than allstate insurance. He made more contested catches last year than anyone else in college football. Many people know Chickson from his miraculous catch against UCLA where he tracks a back shoulder ball, catches it with one hand and then proceeds to extend the ball across the endzone. But the Oregon faithful will tell you he has one of those catches every week, Chickson is a 50/50 ball winner, where he isn’t going to ever get much separation but in a tight spot against tight coverage a QB can throw the ball Chicksons way to bail them out. Which is basically what he did at Oregon, his numbers are inflated by his high number of targets but his catch percentage is almost 96% on 122 targets. He carried Oregon’s offense. I highly doubt Chickson does that at this level, I think he’s a solid number 2 but it’s easy to see why the coaches took him here he’s down in and down out reliable.

Round 3 Pick 68: Mason Porter CB Butler
Anyone ever had a fly always buzzing in their ear and no matter how many time you bat it away 3 seconds later its right back in your ear buzzing again? That’s Porter personified, he isn’t the most physically imposing corner nor does he have the measurables that other corners have but he has the swagger most cornerbacks wish they could have. No matter how many times this kid gets beat he always pops right back up and is in your face barking again. Eagles fans take a deep breath, I know its somewhat alarming to hear your 3 round pick has little man syndrome. But he was drafted because he’s a gym rat. Originally Porter was recruited to play basketball at Butler and be that defensive irritant that plays the passing lanes as point guard and leads the team and even though he’s switched sports he plays the exact same role. He isn’t physically imposing but he understands the route combinations he sees and makes throwing windows tighter on the QB. “That son of a gun Porter would’ve gone in the first round if he played at Ohio state. Scouts are too afraid to really swing on this kids true talent and understanding of the game. If for some reason he doesn’t make it in the league he’d be one hell of a strength and conditioning coordinator”, said an AFC south scout. Some people believe Porter is special, others believe he’s small school hype. Where does he lie?

Round 4 Pick 110: Tony Stamps DE Northwestern
Stamps is an interesting kid, he was born and raised in Germany because his father worked on the military base there until he was about 16. His family moved to Chicago ( talk about a culture shock), he always excelled in school but as a kid he struggled with his weight so his junior year in high school a kid with his size got a little buzz. But ultimately Stamps was playing in an unsigned senior all-star game where he me Calvin Staley, defensive line coach at Northwestern. At the time Staley couldn’t offer Stamps a scholarship but because of his grades Staley was able to get him into the school on partial financial aid through an academic scholarship. Stamps was mostly relegated to scout team because he didn’t have a scholarship but the damn kid just kept fighting. Until he earned honorable mention Big 10 honors his senior season at Northwestern. Many scouts see Stamps as a project but none question his heart or his upside. If he can really master his craft and keep improving the sky is the limit for this kid.

Round 5 Pick 137: Raymond Lucas G Southern Arkansas
Oh boy another guard a lot like the Brandon hicks pick last year Lucas really has no popping physical traits, he just has that natural feel for the game that will allow him to be an easy scheme fit in Philadelphia. But an interesting tad bit according to Pro Football focus’ college analytics Lucas was ranked the number 9 guard in all of college football. He a lot like hicks brings that interior line versatility, bringing in guys who may not ever end up superstars but have a solid chance of being everyday players.

Round 6 Pick 168: Grant Steptoe CB Notre Dame
Steptoe was once upon a time a 5 star recruit out of Pittsburgh that had the likes of Clemson, Virginia Tech and Ohio State knocking on his door fighting over him. At 6’1 corner that excels in coverage at this point in the draft is a steal. But Steptoe never really put together a good season in Southbend, he’d have his moments shutting down top receivers and then the very next week he’d get beat by the same route over and over again. Most scouts don’t know what to make up of that inconsistent tape as well as a less inspiring combine performance. We’ll see what Steptoe becomes, he won’t be thrusted into the line up right away because of the depth at the position. So I see him as a long term development project.

Round 7 Pick 215: Pete Irwin WR Pittsburgh
Irwin doesn’t have NFL speed, that much was made clear at the combine as many linebackers and even defensive linemen ran faster than him. But what he lacks in speed he has in physicality and heart. His willingness to go over the middle, collect hits and hold onto the ball let many scouts believe he has a place on the next level. But Irwin is someone who scouts are going to have to consistently scheme open because one on one against legitimate corners he has no chance but his ability to win 50-50 balls as well his go over the middle and play a physical type of game leads a lot to believe in the right offense he can become something.
WilleB

Post by WilleB »

You had some nice finds in the middle rounds!
GM Since the ImageEra

APFL Champions - 2015, 2021, 2026, 2031
NFC Champions - 2015, 2021, 2026, 2027, 2031, 2032
NFC East Champions - 2017, 2018, 2019, 2021, 2023, 2024, 2025, 2026, 2027, 2028, 2031-41
lionlocker

Post by lionlocker »

Yessir I did!
The crazy thing is I wasn't sold on any of those dudes when I took them.